Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Hana the main I disagree with is where you say that you can't keep playing Girls Lacrosse after graduation. I also play a sport in college, it being rugby, and my athletic career is only beginning. After college I plan on playing rugby at a local club wherever I am living. When I start getting older I will move from competitive mens level and play old boys. My father played rugby until he was 52  and the only reason he had to quit is because he had a plate put in his neck. Even still he has continued to referee and coach the game he loves. I hope to play for even longer then him. It is shame that sports like football pretty much need after a school or a pro team isn't paying for it anymore. Most sports however do continue after college. Its just get busy with things like work and having a family. So playing a sport after school will be hard but It can be done. So be more positive your girls lacrosse career will continue for a long time if you want it to.

2 comments:

  1. The problem with sports like girl's lacrosse, football, and men's lacrosse often times isn't that it needs to be an actual program associated with a school or professional team, it is that it takes quite a bit of time and money to set up. It isn't like soccer or rugby where you can just grab a ball and go play, for these sports you need all sorts of pads and equipment to play. Also, because these sports are so high in contact , many people stop playing after their collegiate careers are done because their bodies cannot take the physicality associated with the sport. Your dad was one of the luckier ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does seem that an institutional setting is necessary for very serious competitive sports to take place. I think the reasons for this are understandable. It's the same reason why it's very hard to be an auto-didact--a self-taught learner. Having others around you part of the same group creates the sort of sense of togtherness that pushes people and keeps them organized. Without that, the other pressures of life and kids just too easily get in the way. So maybe the problem isn't a lack of teams, but a lack of clubs--the institutional settings after college that reproduce the togetherness effect they create. I remember one of the biggest adjustments after college for me personally was feeling like I no longer had that institutional support. It's very difficult to recreate it.

    ReplyDelete