Monday, March 23, 2015

I completely agree with Kat's stance on studying abroad.  For many people this is the on opportunity in their life where they can live over seas so why not take advantage of it. I personally want to study away my junior year but unfortunately there are many things that can get in the way from letting a student go. For example I plan on trying to get 2 degrees at my time at furman. This means there are very few programs if any that I can fit in my schedule. I also play on the rugby team here which has its main season in the fall. Most of the study away programs at furman are in the fall so\ the programs that would be best for me academically. So as amazing as studying abroad would be It will be very hard for me to work it into my schedule. Hopefully I will be able to make it happen.

3 comments:

  1. Language programs would easily fit into the two degree path, and language is actually one of the more practical second degrees to earn. It does seem that the programs are Fall heavy--our program in English is in the Fall. Maybe what we need is to find opportunities for studying abroad not simply in college but for the rest of our life. Of course, that is a difficult task with family, kids, etc, so that's why most people try to get that experience in earlier rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same situation as John as I as well play rugby and our season is when most of the study away programs are. But I think going to study away is much more important than playing a sport although most people who play sports are on scholarship and if they don't play they don't go to school. So it can be a very odd situation to be in and it can be hard to get back into whatever sport you played after not playing for a semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same situation as John as I as well play rugby and our season is when most of the study away programs are. But I think going to study away is much more important than playing a sport although most people who play sports are on scholarship and if they don't play they don't go to school. So it can be a very odd situation to be in and it can be hard to get back into whatever sport you played after not playing for a semester.

    ReplyDelete